Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Boating in Canada

Did you know Canada..  if you are like me, you're already day dreaming about May 2-4 weekend, trips to the beach, maybe renting a cottage or getting out on the water.  If you are thinking about renting a boat or renting a cottage that supplies a boat, there are things you need to know.

You must have a canadian boat licence - yes, you, you and even you.  Everyone who will be operatoring a recreational powered watercraft who operate within Canadian waters needs a card. Regardless of age, engine size, or length of boat.  Once you have the card there are no restrictions for those 16 and older, there are still some restrictions for those less than 16 though...

  • Under 16 years of age - Not allowed to operate a PWC 
  • Between 12 years and under 16 years of age,and not directly supervised - Can operate vessels with under 40 hp
  • Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised - Can operate vessels with under 10 hp

My husband got his boating licence a few years ago, at that time he had to take an in class lesson, do the exam during the class and it was a bit of a pain in the butt to be honest.  But now it's much simpler.

You can take the course and test online in the comfort on your own home, retakes are free as well if you do not pass the exam the first time.  Once you pass you can print off your temp licence and you are good to go!

The fines for not having your Pleasure Craft Operator Card on board with you vary province by province; it may be as high as $250.  Always make sure you have the card with you to avoid fines!

Who's planning on going boating this summer??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog Giveaway Directory