Did you know Canada.. UNICEF Survival Gifts are a collection of 54 gifts essential for child survival and development grouped into six main categories: Water, Food, Health, Education, Play and Emergency.
Canadians can place orders online anytime at www.survivalgifts.ca or by phone at 1 888 777 0380. What a great thing to do as a family, or make a collection with a church group, classroom or team to help give gifts of life.
Last year, UNICEF gifts helped children in 72 countries survive and thrive. Over the course of 2011, UNICEF responded to 292 humanitarian situations in 80 countries. Easy to purchase, gifts range in price from $10, enough for 55 polio vaccines (wow!), to $38,159 for an all-terrain vehicle needed to reach children safely in conflict zones and in remote regions.
I love this, some of the Survival Gifts that generous Canadians sent to the field last year:
* 9,713,261 (nearly 10 million) vital water items
* 362,737 education items so children can learn
* 773,022 vaccines to keep children safe from polio, measles, and tetanus
* 1,633,919 water purification tablets providing 8,169,595 litres of vital clean water
* 308,008 oral rehydration salts
* 284,714 packages of Plumpy’Nut therapeutic food – enough to feed 13,557 children 3 times a day for a week
* 361,120 pencils and notebooks so children could write and learn
What an amazing opportunity to help those in need. Please let your friends and family know about this, take a quick collection at dinner this weekend and talk about how only a few dollars can change the lives of so many!