Saturday, July 20, 2013

Canucks Rock: All Canadian Link up! 07/20

Welcome to our weekly All Canadian Link Up!  This weekend and every weekend, Canucks Rock! with our All Canadian Link Up and Candid Canuck feature interview.  Brought to you by your hosts: Did you know Canada?, Tales of a Ranting Ginger and Maple Leaf Mommy!

This week's Candid Canuck is Cheryl from The Beautiful Side of Hectic! Check out our interview with her..







Has blogging and social media helped support you through Jillian's diagnosis and lifestyle?
Blogging and social media has helped me immensely since Jillian's diagnosis. I can't even list the many ways it has. Originally, I started my blog as a way to keep our family and friends updated on our 3 month work term in Toronto (from Nova Scotia) little did I know that a) my writing was terribly sucky (it read more like a diary then anything) and b) we would now be here for 6 years, facing a diagnosis with no family/friends to work through it with At least none close to me.

Have other Mom's that have a child with cerebral palsy found your blog and contacted you?
Some of my favourite email and comments are from other parents that have cerebral palsy. Although CP has been around for a LONG time, there are so many misconceptions about it. I will always remember the day when I received an email on one of the worst days of my life (after losing an insurance battle) lamenting to my friend that I couldn't be upbeat and positive about the diagnosis. And now I've realized that it's totally ok. And I feel comfortable telling other people that too.

Do you feel the Canadian blogging community as a whole are supportive to one another?
I really do. Some PR/Marketing are unsure about working with bloggers in Canada and it's nice to meet like minded people who "get" the fact that my friends live inside my computer. We don't have to have the same blogging goals or niche, it's nice that there are a whole slew of other Canadians who "get" it! 

Do you recommend blogging as a way to bring attention to illnesses, especially ones the general public may not know a lot about?
For me it really depends. What are you trying to get out blogging? A sounding board? Somewhere to vent? If you're writing about a diagnosis and a child (your child perhaps) it's important to remember that your child will eventually find whatever you've written. Even if they never do, it's a nice reminder in the back of your mind. I would say if it works for the person wondering, give it a shot. You can meet so many amazing people who just might be going through similar times. 

What are some of your Canadian daily reads, can you share a few blog links with us?
I'm an avid stalker. That sounds sooooooo wrong. I like to discover Canadian blogs and read them when I get a chance. I often read blogs on my phone and therefore never comment, I should really rectify that last one. Or come up with a better system rather than 1. read on my phone 2. tell myself to comment when back on the computer 3. promptly forget step 2. I also hate listing blogs because I'm always forgetting someone. Kinda falls into place with step 2. 

But some amazing Canadian Bloggers that I love are: 

What has been one of your favourite posts you've written?
Not all of them are works of art by any means, but I always have a hard time with this question too. I'll leave you with 2 links. 

Thanks so much Cheryl!
Want to be one of our featured Canucks?  Sign up here.

Right now, link up your Canadian blog and social media accounts, find some new reads and new friends!



Click here to grab this linky for your site!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Giveaway Directory
Sweepsadvantage
SheBlogs Canada