Did you know Canada.. over 40% of the people who use food banks in Canada are children.
This is a terrible number, and one that makes me desperate to do more. I am so happy there are campaigns like the Everyone Wins With Canadian Chicken campaign that wants to get all Members of Parliament to submit their favourite chicken breast sandwich recipe for a chance to win!
Check out these amazing prizes..
* First Prize - $10,000 donation
* Second Prize - $5,000 donation
* Third Prize - $2,500 donation
The winning recipe will also be served to over 10,000 people at the 20th Annual Great Canadian Chicken BBQ in Ottawa on Canada Day. All MP entries will be included in a digital cookbook that you can download as well.
Let your MPs know about this contest (click here to see contact info for MPs in your area, including Twitter accounts!)! They can enter here.
Here is an easy tweet to use:
Hey @MPxxx, our local Food Bank needs $10,000. Pls submit ur chicken sandwich recipe. http://bit.ly/HU9Zwu #WinWithChicken
That's not all! Save the date for May 9th 8-9:30pm EST and join the "TW-EAT In" Twitter party!! Join the Party and learn more about the contest, and about Canadian chicken, Food Banks Canada and Maple Leaf Foods! Win prizes, get awesome tips and more! Use hashtag #WinWithChicken to join and RSVP here.
Let's do our best to get the word out friends, our local food banks need us. Here's some shocking stats from my local Food Bank in London Ontario..
* they served served 3505 families in November 2011 - their busiest month ever
* on average they are helping more than 2,800 families or 7,500 individuals each month
* for each year from 2000 to 2010, seven to nine thousand individuals required emergency food assistance every month
* 24.98% of families that used the London Food Bank in 2010 had no source of income
* The weight of food collected and distributed in 2008 was 1.41 million pounds (worth $3.06 million)
I will see you at the party and contact your MP today!!
I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada program by http://ShesConnected.com. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.