Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Are we facing an Obesity Epidemic?

Did you know Canada.. According to an article in the Canadian Medical Association Journal they feel with the increase in numbers of overweight children and young adults we are facing an Obesity Epidemic that require legislative approaches to control.

If our current trend continues next 25 years, half of Canadians over age 40 will be obese. Obesity is expected to surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable morbidity and mortality.

Suggested government-level interventions include taxing junk food, improving serving size and nutritional labeling, banning certain foods and ingredients, and regulating sodium consumption. Corporate and school level solutions such as limiting access to junk food in schools are other approaches.  I know many schools already have a no candy rule and many pop machines have been removed from schools.

Do you think it's the government's place to step in though?

Source: Canadian Medical Association Journal, ScienceDaily

3 comments:

  1. I think in school levels it is, b/c no matter how much I teach my kid to eat healthy if they can access only junk food at school that's what they will.

    As for the other stuff, no. I think we as parents have to use our heads and realize what we are diong is killing our children. Get a back bone and say no! Provide good healthy snacks, and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I don't think it's the government's place to control what we eat, especially in the form of higher taxes.

    I'm perfectly fine with no pop machines in school - was surprised when they were put in in the first place. Though I don't personally agree with the no candy rule in schools, I'm not sure if our school has this policy but would like to put a treat in my kids lunches once in a blue moon if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's the gov's place to put in these restrictions. However, it's obvious a lot of people don't give a crap about themselves or their children's health. I personally have a cousin who at 8 years old topped the scales at close to 200lbs! Me, I'm worried when my 8 year old hits 80lbs. Something HAS to be done and if the parents won't do anything, maybe it's time to make regulations and laws.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Giveaway Directory
Sweepsadvantage
SheBlogs Canada