The current average gas price in Ontario is 1.27 where as it's only 1.15 in Manitoba (the cheapest in the country) but it's 1.35 in Quebec (the highest in the country and actually 1.37 in Montreal).
The main reason for these gaps are the provincial gas tax differences between provinces. On average, about one-third of the total price of gas at the pump is tax and some metropolitan areas such as Montreal, Greater Vancouver, and Victoria impose additional taxes.
So for example..
- In Ontario you pay 30.1 cents per litre in taxes
- In Alberta you pay 24.2 cents per litre in taxes
- In Newfoundland and Labrador you pay 39.9 cents per litre in taxes
- In Montreal you pay 39.3 cents per litre in taxes (38.0 in other areas of Quebec)
- In Vancouver you pay 39.85 cents per litre in taxes (30.40 in other areas of BC)
We're paying 1.27 at the pump in my area, what are you paying?
Source: gasbuddy.com, Petro Canada, Wikipedia