Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Walking for Kids

Did you know Canada.. Please meet Judy Brunton and family - Judy is a lovely woman looking to raise $4000 in a Walk-A-Thon put on by Easter Seals Ontario. This article introducing Judy was originally posted on the Our Canada Community Blog - thank you Our Canada for allowing us to help get Judy's word out.

Walking for Kids

When I was a young girl, I worked at a summer camp as a leader-in-training and ended up spending a lot of time with a child confined to a wheelchair. I immediately wanted to help Rachael fit in with the other able-bodied children. I helped her to participate in everything everyone else was working on and not to feel left out.
Later, when I was in public school, I met a boy who was also confined to a wheelchair. Stanley was part of the special education class, and every recess and lunch hour we would play together.
I was doing some shopping in Newmarket, Ont., one day almost 6 years ago, and I saw the brochure for a Walk-A-Thon being put on by Easter Seals Ontario, an organization that aims to create a better life for children and youth with physical disabilities. I was immediately hooked.
Now it is my healthy addiction to raise as much money for this wonderful organization as possible. On May 29, 2011, my son, Charlie, and I will yet again participate in the Run/Walk-a-thon that celebrates its 35th anniversary this year.

Charlie, who will turn four-years-old in June, has been participating in this event almost as long as I have! On my second walk-a-thon, I was only a few weeks away from delivering Charlie. My dad had to push me in a wheelchair - I didn't want to deliver en route! Dad has come on the walk with me for a few years; last year, he participated as a clown. He is a professional clown named Smoothie.

It’s always fun walking with others who are out for the same great cause. People can run or walk the ten kilometres. I’ve never been a runner, but I can walk for miles. I am tired at the end, but I do enjoy the nice long jaunt.
At the end of the day, it’s more about raising money to support families of children with physical disabilities than a race. Charlie and I were the last two to arrive at the finish line last year, but we raised the most money ever: $3,500. We are hoping to raise $4,000 this year.
I am very fortunate to have a healthy son. It can cost an extra $40,000 per year to care for a child with a physical disability. This year I joined the organizing committee for the Walk-a-thon to be more involved. If you would like to learn more about Easter Seals Ontario, visit http://www.easterseals.org/ and for more on the event itself, and to sponsor Charlie and me, please visit http://www.persechinirun.org/.

Judy Brunton and family, Aurora, Ont.

1 comment:

  1. You can search my name at the above url. Thank you to all who can help us by donating to this wonderful cause.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Giveaway Directory
Sweepsadvantage
SheBlogs Canada