Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cranberries

Did you know Canada.. last year we exported over 1 million barrels of cranberries to the US.
About 14% of their domestic market!

Cranberries are native only to North America. You might be surprised to know Cranberries do not grow in water - Cranberries are harvested in water because it makes picking easier. Cranberries are low, creeping shrubs or vines and flooding floats the cranberries out of the tangled vines, making them easier to pick.

The name cranberry derives from "craneberry", first named by early European settlers in America who felt the expanding flower, stem, calyx, and petals resembled the neck, head, and bill of a crane.

Cranberries are cultivated in many Canadian provinces including British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Quebec.

About 95% of cranberries are processed into products such as juice drinks, sauce, and sweetened dried cranberries. It's only the remaining 5% that are sold fresh to consumers.

Source: cranberry.ca, Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for finding me! I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Giveaway Directory
Sweepsadvantage