Known as the birthplace of Toronto it began in 1793 when Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe built a garrison on the present site of Fort York. It was a perfect site for the settlement and defensive stance because of its natural harbour and relative longer distance from the United States.
Fort York’s cannon and earthworks became obsolete in the 1880s, although the army continued to use the fort for training, barracks, offices and storage until the 1930s. It was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1923.
Fort York is now home to Canada's largest collection of original War of 1812 buildings.
Source: fortyork.ca, Wikipedia