Thursday, November 3, 2011

Recipe to Riches: Chicken Grenades

Did you know Canada.. I hope you all watched Recipe to Riches last night! If not, be sure to catch a repeat either on the Food Network or on Global Saturday night. Remember, each week three Recipe to Riches contestants compete in one of seven food categories. To win the evening and the national stage they have to demonstrate that their recipe is the one that can best be scaled and marketed. The winners of each segment then compete in the season finale for the grand prize of $250,000 – the largest prize ever awarded on Canadian television.

Today we are featuring the winning recipe from last night's episode: John Grass' Chicken Grenades! I think at the end of the season this will still have been my favourite episode, I LOVE appetizers! I could make a whole meal out of them! And this one is to die for, trust me, this is your new go to recipe!! I know on last nights recipe they really promoted it as a guys food, well my guys LOVE it but so do I!!

First step is to make the spice mixture, I got all the spices together (I admit I had to purchase a few, there was no chipotle chili pepper powder or dried thyme leaves in my cupboard)..



Then gave it a quick mix and set aside (this made much more than I needed, able to keep the rest for next time!)..



Cut up the chicken into slices..



Sprinkled a baking sheet with the spice mixture..



Layered the bacon, chicken, cheese and jalapeno..



Rolled them up..



Got them on a cookie sheet..



While they were in the oven I got the 2 jellies out, microwave them just before you need them..



Brushed on the jelly mixture after 20 minutes of cooking..



Popped them back in for 10 and we were ready to go..



And guess what, they were so delicious, we're already making a second batch!!!!!!


I promise you, you will DIE for these! I made a few with no spice for my young boys and they inhaled them, so happy to find a recipe everyone will love!! So easy to make too, just layer, roll and cook. Will you be purchasing it this weekend or trying the recipe yourself?? Don't forget to check out the Chicken Grenades recipe on the Food network website.

13 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed this last night too. Dying to taste both apps featured last night. I would buy both. Thought both should have won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, those look delish! I have everything but chicken breasts, but I will buy some this weekend and try this, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup these were pretty good though I had a lot of trouble understanding what they were supposed to look like - the idea of "grenades" sounded too big for an appie - mine ended up more like pinwheels/ roulades so def not as pretty as yours but yes, they tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so good guys!! Make them ASAP!! Looking forward to seeing how the ones in store turn out. Very simple to do at home as well though, just gather the ingredients and roll it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited about this recipe :) I think it will come down to this, and Flo's Lemon dessert...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Stacey! Really loving your step-by-step pics each week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you buy the 2 jellies? These sound amazing and I admit to having bought them at the Superstore yesterday b/c I had to try them out! The fast/cheater way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone made them without the jalapeno and jellies and just used the dry spice rub for heat instead? If so, are they still hot enough?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I made some without the jelly, they are still hot enough for sure. The jellies add texture and some taste but I wouldn't say it adds any more heat to the dish in my opinion.

    I also made some without the jalapeno, jalapeno's of course does add it's own heat, so no, it's not *as* hot without it but still very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the quantity of each spice?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 4 teaspoons paprika
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili pepper powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like that this recipe is open to change. like i replaced the chicken with duck. it was really good. or it must have. my entire dinner party wanted a second helping. as well as a little brown sugar on the bacon helps to to caramelise which added a whole new level of flavor to it. it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will NEVER recommend the actual product to anyone (although I will try making them myself!!) , no matter how good they taste for the sheer difficulty of getting them apart to cook them, even after leaving them to sit for the recommended time!! Especially for the $9 cost for 10 little tiny skewers... I haven't even tasted them yet, and I am extremely disappointed... I will never buy them again unless they drop the price severely or don't freeze them so they are stuck together...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Giveaway Directory
Sweepsadvantage
SheBlogs Canada